See the difference? Me neither.
The objections in this debate are essentially of the form "We object to you forcing us to recognize that the people we employ use the money we give them to buy contraceptives." That is dumb.
Kinds of thing that would infringe on religious freedom:
- Requiring Catholic hospitals to provide abortions
- Requiring Catholic doctors to prescribe the pill
- Requiring Catholic pharmacies (do these exist?) to sell the pill or condoms or what-have-you.
Kinds of thing that would NOT infringe on religious freedom:
- Requiring that health insurance benefits provided by Catholic institutions include deductible-free access to contraceptives
- Requiring that Catholic institutions pay their full-time employees (Note: 2 is equivalent to 1)
Reasoning in word form below the fold: